PURPOSE: Provide library services to the public.
FUNCTIONAL AREAS: Under direction:
* 1. Staff public service desks.
* 2. Provide information to the public.
* 3. Respond to informational needs of the public by conducting complex searches of information sources and databases.
* 4. Maintain required records.
* 5. Assist with maintenance of print and non-print collections.
6. Perform related tasks as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
1. A master's degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited school or a combination of education and experience accepted as equivalent.
1. Knowledge of the principles
and practices of library science, including MARC cataloging and
classification, reference, material selection, circulation methods,
public library operation, and library automation.
2. Knowledge of current library technologies.
3. Knowledge of services for special needs groups.
1. Ability to use and apply modern
2. Ability to handle information requests quickly, efficiently and effectively.
3. Ability to perform detail work accurately and consistently.
4. Ability to work independently at public service desks.
5. Ability to maintain composure when working under pressure and to meet deadlines.
6. Ability to work as a member of a team.
7. Ability to communicate through oral and written reports.
8. Ability to enter and/or retrieve information from various sources such as computerized databases, printed volumes, microfilm or michrofiche.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library personnel and with the public, including people from all walks of life.
10. Ability to work evening and weekend hours as scheduled.
11. Ability to retrieve and replace materials on shelves at various heights.
12. Ability to propel a loaded shelving cart weighing up to 335 pounds for distances of up to 50 feet on a carpeted surface.
13. Ability to frequently transport materials weighing up to 25 pounds, and occasionally weighing up to 50 pounds, from one part of the library to another.
14. Ability to work in a stationary position for long periods.
15. Ability to transport oneself throughout the library.
*Essential functions of the position
Job requirements necessary on the first day of employment
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802