The Duluth Public Library's new Seed Lending Library is one of the first in Minnesota!
Starting in Spring 2014, we will have tomato, pepper, pea, and bean seeds available for library patrons to borrow. We will also have seeds for the 2014 Vegetable of the Year, which has yet to be announced.
We are partnering with the following community organizations:
Institute for a Sustainable Future
Duluth Community Garden Program
St. Louis County Extension Master Gardeners
The goals of the Duluth Public Seed Lending Library are to:
- Instill the important principle of public ownership of seed and plant materials
- Provide a public source of seeds for all citizens of Duluth so they may grow their own healthy food
- Increase knowledge of gardening and home horticulture
- Increase consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Enhance the social capital of Duluth by engaging community members in a positive activity
- Contribute to developing a regionally-adapted seed stock
Frequently Asked Questions
The Lake Superior Good Food Charter